Aug 17, 2009

Katja Rosenberg

Katja Rosenberg is not only an Art Trail regular but is also one of E17's creative organisers and energisers. She has been involved in getting several local projects off the ground and has contributed much to both local and international collaborative group projects.


1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
I have asked people from Waltham Forest and beyond to write fairytales for the Fellowship Art Challenge, which I have turned into little books. Visitors will be able to find them and read them in my little secret garden on the roof terrace, but they'll also find other nice artefacts by myself and others which they will be able to purchase.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Related to this, did you respond to this year’s Art Trail theme ‘At Home’?
Living in E17 inspired me to do the work because I was invited to join the Fellowship Art Challenge which was themed "Fairytales" this year. I have responded by the "At Home" theme by showing my work at home for the first time.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
Twice!

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
I coordinate art group shows and one of my projects has been the East London Printmakers exhibition "Wonderland", an exhibition of work by 50 artists about fairytales, myths and legends from all over the world. The show travelled to Germany (German Fairytale Museum and the Brothers Grimm Museum) and is coming to the V&A Museum of Childhood on 26 September.

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
Publicising the idea enough so that enough people actually hear about the opportunity is the main thing. Once I have the pieces the presentation process is easy and fun because the pieces are so cool!

6. Who is this work for?
It was for the Fellowship Art Challenge but I have been meaning to work with the written word for a long time, I just didn't know how to. Getting people to write for themselves is a brilliant way, and I realised that through the project. You keep getting surprised in really nice ways.

7. As well as being an artist what else do you do?
I am a printmaking artist but I have taken to organising group projects more and more. I have gathered myself a nice CV of venues and projects over the last few years. My next focus is to create a good income from this.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
My house and our roof terrace, the ponds and the marshes, St Mary's Church when a concert is on and the Ferryboat Inn for relaxing with friends or writing letters. It's also great to always have the jazz nights at the Nag's Head as an option.

Katja Rosenberg: http://www.katjaprints.co.uk/home.htm
Tales From the Forest Project: www.tellingthetale.weebly.com

No comments: