Aug 15, 2009

Valeria Bateson

A regular participant in the Art Trail, Valeria Bateson’s work has often addressed local issues or themes and she has been regularly exhibiting both in E17 and more widely. In response to my blog info request she said “I am a bit busy with preparations to spare the time for blogging!” but she very efficiently answered most of my questions by amalgamating several in each of her answers! So…

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Related to this, did you respond to this year’s Art Trail theme ‘At Home’?

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?6. Who is this work for?

This year it really is about "At Home", so I must have been thinking of that theme.

My project is specific to the studio in my back garden, where I plan to show any interested Art Trailers where and how I work, also a range of different subjects and ways I have painted. One theme is about being left-handed much of last year due to a broken collarbone.

I did some small left-handed paintings with a palette knife, and then a big bold one sketching for a commission. This changed the character of my work. In some ways I prefer the left-handed work but can't do it now I am right-handed again! This part of the exhibition may appeal to anyone who draws or paints, whatever their age. Other work on show should appeal to those who like art relating to the local area, to musicians and dancers, even to plants.

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
A big challenge is that my studio measures only 10x12 feet and is chock full of art materials. So I have to use the area outside its door somehow.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
Apart from my studio, my favourite place in E17 is the Lee Navigation towpath.


Photo: Harriet Armstrong

1 comment:

Nik said...

interesting interview with an interesting artist. Nik