Aug 29, 2009

Sean Pines

The contribution of Sean Pines to the Image 17 project has already been featured but here he talks about his other Art Trail projects too.

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
This year I will be showing personal photography projects at 3 different venues. Images of Italy at Trattoria la Ruga Restaurant, 59 Orford Road. Art trail Guide no 67 . Flamenco - Images of Spain at Orford Saloon Tapas bar, 32 Orford Road. Art trail Guide no 60. As a member of Image17 I am also showing in the group exhibition entitled 'Meet' at the Old Glass Factory 15 Hoe St. Art trail Guide no 28.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Did you respond to this years Art Trail theme, ‘At Home’?
Obviously, my Spain and Italy exhibitions are what they are. I picked up the 'At Home' theme as part of the Image17 Photographers, in the form of a group project to begin documenting some the various interest and social groups who 'Meet' up on a regular basis at home in Walthamstow. This is the start of a project that we intend to expand beyond this years art trail.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
Yes, in 2007 and 2008.

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
Other than being photography it doesn't. Previous exhibitions have been architectural black and white photographs, of Walthamstow Village, from an exhibition I had entitled 'Village' at the Vestry House Museum back in 2005. This years 'Meet' exhibition will be my first to feature people.

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
My main challenge has been fitting in shoots between running my studio and Gallery in Bethnal Green, where I'm also having a portrait exhibition in October. And where the 'Meet' exhibition will be developed further and taken to in December.

6. Who is this work for?
I see the work as for all. I think everyone is surprised and fascinated by the vast amount of interest and activity groups that go on around us that we are, by and large, unaware of taking place amongst our neighbours.

But also I think it will be quite and important social documentary of people at the beginning of the 21st century who actually go out (in these times of internet 'social' networking sites) and physically meet people and interact with them.

7. As well as being an artist what else do you do?
If you mean what do I do as a living? Then, as well as my personal work, I'm a full time working photographer. If you mean what other interests do I have of my own? Then, with my wife Sharon, we host monthly wine tastings at the Nags Head Pub in the Walthamstow village, as well as being life long Spurs fans and foodies.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
All of it! Well, as my wife and I are foodies, with a bias towards the Village area.

No comments: