Sep 1, 2009

Chloe Redmond

Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
The photographs that I exhibited for the previous Art Trails, taken in Egypt and Thailand will be on sale. This year’s focus will be the screening of my degree show reel and 3 minute film. Alongside the looped footage and framed stills will be my installation.

Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Did you respond to this year’s Art Trail theme ‘At Home’?
I have been Bellydancing since the age of 15 and love Arabic music and culture, so after school I lived in Egypt for 3 months. There I studied with Bellydancing experts and developed my skills as a photographer. I then moved to Birmingham for my Visual Communications degree. In my second year I spent 6 weeks along with 12 other students from my course studying in Thailand. These past 5 years I have learnt to work away from home, believing in the strength it will give me as a person and a professional in the industry. I have had some amazing experiences, but am happy to be back in Walthamstow and hope that my installation reflects what I was juggling whilst gaining my BA.

Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
This will be my 3rd year exhibiting in the Art Trail and the first year filming it.

How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
Step 1-Mum leaves hundreds of messages concerning wall space at the clinic that needs filling “how about swapping these photos?” “shall I get you in contact with this artist?” “have you thought about incorporating this?” “yes mum” “mind you don’t wreck my walls”
Step 2-I stress about the what, where and how, the perfectionist, OCD and dyslexia in me start having a field day and reassure me that if my work does not encompass everything I believe in, strive for and have achieved in my 23 years I will die.
Step 3-My Dad slaps the “stiltz” into me and I remember what I have to offer and delicately position it in The Health Works.

What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
I am the only person who can stop me.

Who is this work for?
My work is for anyone who appreciates hard work.

As well as being an artist what else do you do?
I’ve just graduated with a 2:1 in Visual Communication/Film and have recently qualified as an Indian Head massage therapist. I teach West African dance with Mbilla Arts African Dance and Drumming Company and am working on a variety of film projects, as well as Camerawoman for Keynote Productions monthly Soul Inspired event at the Angel's Cottons Caribbean restaurant.

What is your favourite place in E17?
My bedroom, I have a beautiful view.



No comments: