Aug 4, 2011

Amanda Parker, Mosaic Artist

Trout, by Amanda Parker
1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail. 
I will be exhibiting a new collection of mosaic panels at Images in Frames, one of the E17 Art Trail Sponsors.
Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”? 
I adopted the theme of "Gold, Silver and Bronze" within my collection. Surely a winning formula!
What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?
Potentially it's a great opportunity for the Borough and clearly the regeneration of the East of London is a good thing. However, I feel rather disengaged both on a personal and professional level. My business has not benefited from the Cultural Olmypiad and I didn't get any tickets for the events I applied for. So, with the Olympic site on my doorstep, I do not feel it's touched my life, apart from in the increased revenues I have contributed towards it's production. All rather disappointing!

2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work?
As always, time is precious, as mosaic making is a very labour intensive art-form. I always feel I have more time to prepare for the next Art Trail event but it always comes around quite quickly!!

3. What do you like about E17 and why?  
I love the fact that we are surrounded by natural sites - the Lea Valley, Hackney Marshes, Epping Forest - all of which give me great inspiration for my creative work. I also love the William Morris Gallery and the great influence he and his associates had on the art and design world. 

Is there anything you would change about the area?
Having lived here for over 20 years, I would ensure that the Borough had access to a local theatre, arts centre & cinema. Given the size of the catchment area, it is so culturally barren! 

4. Who and/or what inspires you?
People who make positive change for themselves and the community in which they live.

5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists? 
Be true to yourself, take inspiration where you find it, develop slowly and celebrate the experience.

"Gold, Silver and Bronze" Mosaics by Amanda Parker will be on at Images in Frames, 59 Wood Street, all days of the trail except for Sunday 4 September. 

No comments: