Jason Hawkridge is exhibiting work from a period spanning 15 years at his retrospective at Inky Cuttlefish Studios. He is also showing recent works at Vestry House. On 9 September he will be doing a drawing demonstration at Vestry House’s late night showing.
1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail. Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”?
What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?
Arriving at my fourth decade this year (!) it seemed to be an appropriate time for all to peek back through my sketchbooks and remaining works, over the last 15 years of making Art.
“On Your Marks” seems fitting for the purpose of my “Recent Works” at the Vestry House Museum. Finding the confidence to explore my new painting techniques in various disciplines has given me great pleasure in my newly found "Mark Making" with paint.
I think the Olympic ring T- shirt may have summed up the Olympic question. Great Work!!
2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work?
I realised you never slow down in trying to learn how to improve your skills.
3. What do you like about E17 and why? Is there anything you would change about the area?
Come on!! It has to be the Art scene. Would I change anything? Yes! I would have come here earlier.
4. Who and/or what inspires you?
Egon Schiele, Piet Mondrian, Joan Miro, Frans Hals, Toulouse-Lautrec and countless magical visual moments in everyday life.
5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists?
Keep drawing from Life, keep making mistakes and keep learning from them.
Vestry House and Inky Cuttlefish studios are open every day until the end of the Trail