Aug 6, 2012

Becky Griffiths - Roosters and Wrestlers in a Gin Palace

Becky Griffiths exhibition Cock O the North is a exhibition that I for one can't wait to see...with my chest puffed out!

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2012 E17 Art Trail?

This year I'm showing a set of minature paintings of cockerels, and also black and white photography of Cumbrian Wrestlers. It's all about male plumage, strut, swagger and pride.


2. Is this your first time in the Trail or are you an E17 Art Trail veteran?
I exhibited for the first time last year in my home, it was a great experience having so many people come and visit and see my work. It is an amazing feeling to have people talking about your work. I've spent years taking photos and painting, and never really had any kind of audience, it was an incredibly positive and affirming experience

3. What are the challenges of getting everything ready for your Art Trail event?

Getting everything ready on time, i've still got one and half painitings to go!! - and also making sure that you take time to invite plenty of people in order to bring in as many people as possible to come and visit the trail. Additionally this year I'm working towards opening up a unit in Wood St Market called Mother's Ruin East London Gin Palace, so it's taking up a bit of time sorting out suitably lavish decor and also applying for the premises licence. Hopefully it'll all come together at the last!


4. Do you remember the first artist that really influenced you? Does that artist’s influence still have an impact on your work?
The first painters that really influenced me were Frieda Kahlo and Paul Gauguin, and photographers are people like Diane Arbus, Martin Parr and Sally Mann  - I still love their work, but not sure if they still influence me except perhaps the link to both the surreal and the hyper real.

5. The E17 Art trail has become bigger every year. Do you think it is because more artists are calling it home?
Yes I think there are more and more creative people living in Walthamstow, and also the Art trail really encourages people to have a go.

6. What has E17 bestowed on you?
A creative and friendly place to live which gives encouragement and support to independent artists and businesses. 





No comments: