Aug 9, 2010

Anna Lopez


1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail? '
Even a sofa can play the blues' is a sequence of photographs and text displayed in the Pergola passage to the garden of Vestry house museum. I present an ordinary story of a discarded sofa, guiding the viewer in a web of inner thoughts and free associations. The piece is an interactive journey as it invites the viewer to creatively participate, contributing with doodles, thoughts and random memories. A sound installation connected to this project will be shown at London Metropolitan University (Aldgade east tube station) for my MA fine art show, on September 9th till September 13th. The soundscape will be in central house 3rd floor room 319.


2.How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
I joined the art trail in 2009 with a street installation “Tale of a sullen keyboard”

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
My projects start with a found object, discarded in the street that inspire me. I approach it as a detective would, looking for marks and signs of the relationship with its ex- owner then create a narrative around it. Using junk as a pretext I can talk about people and we way we relate to each other, as I believe the objects relationship to us is a metaphor for human relations. I like to tell stories about the way we live, in particular I like to play with all those idiosyncratic associations and thoughts that are so common and yet so private.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
I like to work on site specific installation therefore it’s important for me to find an interesting spot in Walthamstow that inspires me. The Pergola passage in Vestry house museum is amazing, very dreamy and poetic! When developing a piece for the art trail I also have to consider the wide range of public including a younger audience so that I can prepare something exciting and interesting for all ages. I’m a conceptual artist but believe that art has to be accessible to all otherwise it’s not communication at all.

5. Who are your favourite artists?
I love artists who work with social politics, specially Doris Salcedo. I’m also very inspired by Sophie Calle's work and Bill Fontana. My most favourite artist is Miranda July and this quote of hers sum up my attitude towards art “Life is so ridiculously gorgeous, strange, heartbreaking, horrific, etc., that we are compelled to describe it to ourselves, but we can’t! We cannot do it! And so we make art.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
I love the farmers market with delicious local veggies and the allotments spread everyway in Walthamstow. I love cycling around there, it feels like a country town

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
I wish the village area would spread out to include poorer areas on the edges. I’d also love to have art studios closer to the station!


WEBSITE

No comments: