Aug 18, 2010

Deborah Naylor

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?
I am showiung 'My Naked Husband and Other Nudes: Life Studies in Watercolour and Ink'

I first painted my husband naked in 2009 and the response was amazing - the onslaught of family and friends who then coyly offered to pose for me was overwhelming and I soon realsised that if you don't paint their faces almost anyone will get their kit off! They love having a nude hanging on their walls that only they know is them. Many of them also allowed me to paint them again and these are the pieces I am showing in the Art Trail. During the Art Trail I'm also offering to paint nude sketches for only £20, if people then go on to commission a full painting this will be deducted from the price. I'm curious to find out how many Walthamstow residents will take the plunge!


2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is my first time - in fact, it's the first time I've exhibited my work publicly so it will be interesting to see the response.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
My naked husband! Seriously, I love painting nudes, the shapes and shadows that the human form creates never cease to amaze me and the response when the model sees the end product is the icing on the cake.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
I am exhibiting in my sister's house so the challenge will be making the space look right while still being a practical living space for her family in the evenings. Also, me and my sister have four kids between us and the trail starts during school holidays so it will be an experience preparing while the mayhem of children goes on around us.

5. Who are your favourite artists?
Friendensreich Hundertwasser, Turner, Wilhem Leibl, Jackson Pollock, Rolf Harris.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
The people who live here are the friendliest in London. The market, because it's a real, traditional market, with the stallholders calling out their wares.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
A paddling pool.

No comments: