Aug 24, 2010

Julie Caves

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?

I will be participating in the Blackhorse Lane Open Studios on the first weekend.

I am still in the process of cleaning up my studio and hanging the paintings I will be showing. I won't be able to hang all the work I have made in the last year, so I have to decide what makes a good exhibition and leave some out.

The work I will be showing could be put into four groups: large framed paintings on paper, an ongoing series of medium sized oils on canvas called Place, a series of acrylic and oil on wooden panels called Elusive Memories, and the work that is not part of any group but are individual pieces. And I have my back catalogue of bookworks that I will put out.


2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This will be my second time.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
Most of my paintings are the result of investigating colour. It is my primary motivation for painting.

I build up layers of transparent colour, looking at how colours affect one another and capturing light inside the structure of the paint. I have found that pigment suspended in thick layers of acrylic resin, wax or oil paint refracts light wonderfully. Equally, highly saturated colour vibrates and dances exploring the relationship of the eye with colour; a small shift in hue can strongly change a how a colour influences the colours next to it. I have been told that I have the ability to make unusual colour combinations successful; that I seem to have a remarkable confidence in my use of colour; but it is really curiosity.

I am interested in colour interaction and colour perception as well as how a painter uses colour to communicate. The art is in the process as well as viewing the finished work. The finished paintings become a record and trace of the process of my practice. They have been described as “painterly” and I think this means that the viewer can feel the process of painting as if they had made the marks themselves.


4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
I will have to hang paintings really densely- salon style because of the amount of work and the amount of space. I would rather have each painting have more space around it. Even then I will have to choose to leave out lots of work because of lack of space.

5. Who are your favourite artists?
So many! Peter Doig's early work and Chris Offili's recent work, for their amazing use of colour, Wayne Theibauld and Richard Diebenkorn for their use of paint, it is so thick you can almost feel it swirling around and Jenny Saville because her work is just plain impressive.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
It is great being on the edge of the forest, some days you can smell it even at the train station! I like the diversity, the mix of cultures. (And the Market, the Rose and Crown, and the transport links are pretty good.)

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
A place to show art. (and a cinema, bike lanes, that the 230 bus came more often, a Fresh and Wild and a Marks and Spencer.)

WEBSITE


No comments: