Aug 19, 2010

Michelle Reader

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?

I'm exhibiting at Blackhorse Lane Studios, where I will be working on a couple of large sculptures using reclaimed materials such as paper and venetian blinds. I am also exhibiting two sculptures made from recycled materials in the Common Grounds exhibition at the Hornbeam Centre. One of them is a self-portrait figure sculpture, the second a larger-than-life representation of a dandelion clock made from aluminium drinks cans and other found materials.


2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is my third time.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
The materials inspire me - found objects, household waste, scrap wood and metal. The materials are my means of expression, and I never stop looking for new ways to manipulate and combine them. Usually I make work to commission, so the subject matter is negotiated with the client. More often than not I'm working to ridiculous deadlines, so I've learnt to work quickly.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
Exhibiting at two venues is a new challenge. I still have work to do on the pieces I'm exhibiting at Hornbeam, and I need to transform my studio into a space suitable to receive visitors. Lots to do!

5. Who are your favourite artists?
Rebecca Horn, Ron Mueck, Jean Tinguely... I also love Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre - mechanical works by Eduard Bersudsky brought to life with light and sound.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
Places like Forest Recycling Project and the reclamation yard at Kings Road in Chingford which make it possible for me to make my work, along with the charity shops and market on the high street.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
A theatre/performance venue.

WEBSITE

No comments: