Sep 7, 2010

TWO TRIPS BY ALISON BROWN

A TRIP TO PICTOREM GALLERY

Neville Graham
It is time well spent to go to Pictorem Gallery to see the extensive exhibition of photographs, collages and signs created by Neville Graham . Not only are the collages beautifully put together , whether made from leaves , or (as most) from his excellent photographs . My favourite is the series of complex detailed collages, showing 12 months during the early restoration of Vestry House Garden. They show how much hard work was needed to enable the garden to reach the stage where now, as a community garden, it has been part of Walthamstow Village winning London in Bloom for 2 years running.



Rupinder Bahra
While at Pictorem , there is also an unexpected treat – a n exhibition of work by Rupinder Bahra. I was bowled over by a view of an evening sky , seen through the branches of a tree in Epping Forest . A set of pictures of roses inspired by William Morris, take one through to a dramatic charcoal drawing of a Victorian key, which is placed above a brightly coloured metallic picture of modern keys, with part of the same Victorian key in the corner. They are well worth looking at.




THE ART TRAIL AT BOOKS INK

The Art Trail exhibition of drawings of tree trunks at Books Ink were extremely evocative. They made me want to go into the forest to look for them. The mystery of the tree trunks beckons me. Then I discovered they were the trees at Chestnut House. They made me believe I was in the forest. During the Art Trail there is yet another reason for me to go into one of my favourite shops as well as their cheap art materials , cheap books and handmade children’s toys. This exhibit is well worth a visit.


No comments: