Aug 18, 2011

Aspects of Impression, Tayyaba Gondal


 
1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail. Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”?   What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?
I enjoy different medias, watercolour, pencil sketching and drawing, my sketch book is filled with these medias but my main interest is in oil painting. I shall exhibit different moods of nature and objects which I found at my house and surroundings and also female figures. Generally,  I paint common things but touch of different colours and strokes make these paintings different. Most of my paintings are in monochrome, these paintings have both Asian and Western touch. And of course "On Your Marks", this is my first exhibition in UK so I am already "On my Marks". 
We all saw the first impact of the Olympics on Warm-Up day of the E17 Art Trail. Everyone enjoyed Olympic events of tiddly winks, paint brush relay (which luckily we won) and the space hopper race!  Like this, the Olympics will bring excitement and preparations.

 2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work? 
There were many challenges because this is a new country for me, I just moved here, I was not aware about markets from where I could get good material and managing all the stuff in a small flat is still really difficult.
 3. What do you like about E17 and why? Is there anything you would change about the area?
Everything about Walthamstow is great, its natural surroundings, Lloyds Park, the William Morris Museum, Central Library and also Walthamstow market which is too good. There are so many social and creative activities including the E17 Art Trail, one of the best. Here we can find mixture of cultures and people are very friendly. It deserves to be called Awesomestow.

4. Who and/or what inspires you?
Impressionist movement inspires me a lot, its texture, colour renderings, spontaneous approach, rapid brush strokes and atmospheric feelings, which appear in my work.

5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists?
I am not sure whether I am in a position to advise, I only would say get guidance from the work of both old masters and contemporaries but develop and follow your own style and enjoy.

Aspects of Impression will be on at Walthamstow Central Library, High Street, Saturday 3 - Sunday 11 September

No comments: