Aug 7, 2011

Julie Caves


1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail. Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”? What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?
I will be participating in the Blackhorse Lane Open Studios and Silent Auction on the second weekend. I am still in the process of finishing some of the paintings I will be showing. By that weekend I should have completed the very large painting that will be the focus and will also need to choose from the smaller ones that I have done recently. My paintings are made by building up many layers of transparent colour. If I have room left I may also show a group of small paintings called Spring and Autumn, eight of which showed in the Excel Estate Agents in the Leytonstone Arts Trail in July. I will also have a table of my artists’ books - my back catalogue and three new books.
Oh, and I have been drawing pigeons lately.

The impact I have seen from the Olympics has mostly been the CREATE art projects. 


2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work? 
Space is always an issue when making large work. My process is time-consuming and humidity slows me down even more as I wait for the paint layers to dry.  So I am always working on a few paintings, which leads back to the space issue.
3. What do you like about E17 and why? Is there anything you would change about the area?
I love the freshness of the forest being so near. I love seeing people I know about town, I never had that in other boroughs. I love the art community here (yay for the Waltham Forest Arts Club!) I am looking forward to what goes on at the new Mill (they are near my studio). We have a great, diverse mix of cultures that is wonderful. It really is Awesomestow!
We need a cinema!  And a place to show art.


4. Who and/or what inspires you?
I am inspired by people who are good at what they do and people who care about things deeply. Artistically I am motivated primarily by an interest in colour, which I explore through paint and in the fascinating things around me which I document in my artists’ books.

5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists?
There are many approaches to making a career of art. I think it is important to do what interests you and not what you think will sell. The people I have seen who are not making work that they find fascinating seem to find it hard to get to the studio. Also, get involved in your local art community, participate.

See Julie's work at the Blackhorse Lane Open Studios and Silent Auction, 114 Blackhorse Lane, Friday 9 - Sunday 11 September.
Have a look at more of her work here.

No comments: