Aug 24, 2012

Mark McClure - New Works in Wood

An insight into Mark McClure's exhibition. It is number 154 in the trail guide and sounds like a real interesting project that will really capture Walthamstow's landscape:

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2012 E17 Art Trail?
Taking cues from graphic design, Constructivism and Futurism - as well as drawing on contemporary graffiti and urban art, the works I'll be showing are the latest in my wooden sculptural pieces, exploring the idea of landscape and structure that make up the environments in which we live. Solely using reclaimed wood and other materials - they evoke urban landscape through both composition and medium, with the additional depth and dimension of sculpture opening up the idea of numerous viewpoints and enabling an additional level of interaction.


2. Is this your first time in the Trail or are you an E17 Art Trail veteran?
This is my first time! I moved into E17 18 months ago - so am excited to be getting involved with the local scene.

3. What are the challenges of getting everything ready for your Art Trail event?
The E17 Art Trail has coincided with my own open studios - and have also marked the start of a new body of work for the Moniker Art Fair in October - so it's all happening at once! It's meant I've had to plan how I use my found wood - not wanting to use all the best pieces at once. Beautiful hard wood with a good grain & patina is a rare luxury to find - so I need to plan how I use the pieces I have in the studio!


4. Do you remember the first artist that really influenced you? Does that artist’s
influence still have an impact on your work?
Futurism, Cubism & Pop Art were the big three that got me hooked at school.Whilst many artists from these movements still have a major influence on my work,I think Robert Rauschenberg has played the biggest role in my own ideas. He covered all bases - and his work still makes my hairs stand on end.

5. The E17 Art trail has become bigger every year. Do you think it is because more artists are calling it home?
It would appear to be. I'm impressed at the way it seems to be growing. I think because it's geographically more "self contained" than the likes of Hackney and Dalston - there's perhaps more of a community feel.. which gives it a feel different to other areas. There certainly seems to be a creative under current. 

6. What has E17 bestowed on you?
As I've not long been in the area - and I came from the mayhem of Dalston - Walthamstow has bestowed a sense of calm and being settled. It's also bestowed a postcode that makes me chuckle and start singing "Stay" every time I hear it mentioned.




No comments: