Walden Studios is a fantastic space in E17 which I had no idea about until Saturday! Apparently the man responsible for this lovely Art Trail venue is Spike....... who moved into a flat in Lynmouth Road in 2009. Underneath the flat was a garage and a yard which he converted into an open exhibition and studio space. There are now 5 very different artists sharing the space and the studios. It's a little off the beaten track but is really worth a visit. I would probably be quite happy to move in and live on the sofa.*
It is open today (Sunday 9th) and next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Here is a little introduction to the place and the people and their fresh, mixed and interesting work.
1. Please can you tell us a little about the artists and work you are showing in this year's Art Trail?
We are a group of young artists from various backgrounds, most of whom have been through the punishments of art school, who are now following pursuits such as jewellery, illustration, painting and print making.
2. Is this the first time you have been in the E17 Art Trail or are you trail veterans?
We were on the trail the year before last, but this place was very different.
3. What are the challenges of getting everything ready for the Art Trail?
Mostly the work involved in sorting this place out, but actually it probably motivated me to speed up a bit!
4.The E17 Art trail has become bigger every year. Do you think it is because more artists are calling it home?
Definitely. A lot of our friends who have visited us here have taken a liking to the place, and it's largely due to the art trail. I think it brings everyone together in a way that is not common in London.
5. Do you have any plans for developing the studios further?
Bits and pieces, like finishing the brewery! But mostly it's done.
6.. What has E17 bestowed on you?
A generous portion of open hearted kindness! In the time I have been here I have made so many friends that I almost never leave!
* This pleasant visiting experience was not shared by the grand old dame of Walthamstow blogging Archipelago of Truth. :)