Aug 12, 2010

Julian Beere

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?
The work is called, Nowhere to be found, and is about being lost - or trying to be lost. It is part of a project, Nowhere but E17, which involves several types of artistic practice, including going for walks and not doing anything particularly artistic about them. I might e.g. in the manner of Richard Long, go for a walk, pick up a dead squirrel, walk with it a while, the distance depending on the smell or other conditions, then put it down again. The problem is, it is only genuinely a work of art if I don't tell people about it, so I guess I'll have to strike that masterpiece off my CV.


2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
I am a 3 year old artist trailer, in good condition, I think.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
Given the comment in number 1, that is a difficult question; an answer runs the risk of eroding my sources of inspiration. Recently though, a thoroughly dead and rotten carcass of a cat floating on a bed of scum and weeds at Tottenham Lock was cause for some fragrant inspiration of the sort which keeps one walking.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
Vain glory.


5. Who are your favourite artists?
All the artists taking part in Common Grounds at the Hornbeam Centre, and I include the chefs, bakers, beekeepers, scrumpers and gardeners who will strive to rustle you up a very tasty artful plum cake. You will yum again I hope - you are very welcome.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
a. The Hornbeam community.
b. The E17 Art Trail

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
Fast flowing rivers, canals, streams, pools, lakes and ponds - all clean and deep, like the River Wharfe I swam in part, with a friend, just recently.


WEBSITE

1 comment:

Norman Andrews said...

The leaping light, for your delight discovers.. a line from a poem by W H Auden is on a notice (defaced as you can see from your photo) on the bridge leading from Tottenham Marsh across the River Lee. It used to refer to a sculpture in the river below, but that seems to have disappeared. However, this watery world is all within 15 minutes walk of Walthamstow. See my blog.