Sep 1, 2012

Kerrie Ahern - An Invisible Red Thread


Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2012 E17 Art Trail?
I’m showing a variety of work from ceramic sculptures, tiles & installations to a series of photographic images. Having lived in China for several years, the influence it had on me is often reflected into my use of material or the concept itself. My work is often based on the connections we have and relationships we make, as well as the following Chinese saying. 'An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance.'



Is this your first time in the Trail or are you an E17 Art Trail veteran?
It is my first year as I moved here just over a year ago. I had missed last year’s deadline with all my work being shipped from Asia, so it’s been exciting getting involved this time around.


What are the challenges of getting everything ready for your Art Trail event?
With the venue being based at home, the biggest challenge is having to move everything around to create some form of exhibition space. Hopefully it all works out, but the public can be the judge of that!  

Do you remember the first artist that really influenced you? Does that artist’s influence still have an impact on your work?
Just one? There are too many to choose from! Here’s a sample list… Frida Kahlo has always been a huge personal influence. Tracey Emin & her ‘Why I never became a dancer’ video. Ana Mendieta. Marina Abramovic. Louise Bourgeois. Nina Hole. Pekka Paikkairi. Gillian Lowndes, Clare Twomey. Claire Curneen. Just to name a few!


The E17 Art trail has become bigger every year. Do you think it is because more artists are calling it home?
I believe so. The nearby Leytonstone also has a lot of fantastic creatives & I can only see that as a positive for the whole Waltham Forest area in terms of art events.

What has E17 bestowed on you?
A great sense of community, friendships & hopefully many new contacts!

An Invisible Red Thread, Venue 176


No comments: