Aug 17, 2009

Helen Alveranga


Another Art Trail regular, Helen Alveranga has been opening up her house and studio to visitors since the first Trail in 2005.

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
The work I will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail will be mainly my recent oil paintings which are inspired by nature. This year I have also decided to show some of my photography. I use photography as a source for my paintings and I have hundreds & hundreds of photographs (I still use film!!!!!) some of which work really well as images in their own right.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17?
I work continuously throughout the year and use the Art Trail as a sort of showcase of my latest work. I could work anywhere but some of the paintings are inspired by my garden and others by walks in the local parks.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
I have participated in the E17 Art Trail every year since its inception.

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
My work this year is basically a continuation of my previous practice although it is always changing and developing it is a slow process.

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
The only challenge I face really with my work is time, most of my paintings are highly detailed and take me a long time to complete, so there never seems enough hours in the day.

6. Who is this work for?
Unless I am doing a specific commission for someone, my work is for me, I paint the things that I am drawn to and that interest me, of course if other people like them too that’s great.

7. As well as being an artist what else do you do?
I work two day’s a week for the DWP; this allows me to paint exactly what I want.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
My favourite place in E17 is Lloyd Park.



No comments: