Aug 30, 2009

Wendy Le Ber

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
The work that I’m showing this year is a selection of the artists books I have been making over the last few years. They vary from more scrap book forms to folded and flag books, some photographic books, altered and painted books. They will be on show in the window of Waterstones in Selbourne Walk.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17?
The work isn’t specific to the area or theme, but some of the books relate to particular places or events.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
This is the third year I have been part of the Art Trail.

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
This is the first time that I have shown my book works, I work in paint, mixed media and photography as well. Book making is probably in some ways a more personal medium for me, and shows perhaps another aspect to my thought and work. The themes I work with in all my art work have crossed over into the books, nature and the environment, the city of London and urban spaces and a spiritual dimension, informed by my Buddhist practice but also relating more generally to the wider aspects of spirituality.

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
Producing the books has its own particular challenges, whether it’s about selecting materials, considering narrative sequences or the particular form the book will take. As they are generally unique pieces it is not so easy to show the work in such a way that it can be seen without the possible damage of being handled a lot.

6. Who is this work for?
There was no particular audience in mind when I produced the books, generally it was more about my personal response.

7. As well as being an artist what else do you do?

As well as being an artist I also teach meditation and mindfulness methods. I have been developing and delivering courses that include creativity and meditation and courses that bring the benefits of meditation in community and business settings. I have been a Buddhist for about 16 years and was ordained in 2002, my Buddhist name is Padmayogini.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
My favourite place is probably the gardens around Vestry House Museum.


E-mail: wendy@padmayogini.co.uk
My art website: www.padmayogini.co.uk
My blog: http://padmayogini.blogspot.com/
My mediation website also has a blog: www.calmcreate.co.uk

No comments: