Sep 1, 2009

Danny Coope

Danny Coope's front garden becomes an appropriate gallery for his stunning photographs recording the beautiful and fascinating lives (and deaths) of his own plants and flowers.

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
As a keen gardener and plant-aholic I keep a compulsive visual record of my gardening year by taking too many photos, all through the year. Lots of plant details, I'm a big fan of tendrils especially! It's not just a reference to what was in flower when, it's become an artistic outlet in its own right. I'm showing a small selection of these photos in my front garden with some of the plants beneath them.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Did you respond to this year’s Art Trail theme ‘At Home’?
I do take photos of gardens and flowers elsewhere but I've chosen to use photos taken on home ground to make my exhibition for the Art Trail more appropriate.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
No this is my first time.

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
I trained as an illustrator and this must influence why and how I take the pictures that I do. You can't beat the joy of capturing that fleeting, magical moment of light, line, shape and colour. If you mess it up today there's no going re-recreating it tomorrow...

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
I've never had enlargements made of my photographs before, so that'll be a bit hairy!

6. Who is this work for?
I've only ever taken photos to please myself, but if other people like them too that'll be a bonus.

7. As well as being an artist what else do you do?
It may be cheating, but I'm actually a picture editor for a gardening magazine. I'm exposed to hundreds of gorgeous (and not so gorgeous) photos of plants everyday so this is a bit of a busman's holiday.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
Probably the green bits at each end, our little bit of Epping Forest and the nature reserve at the bottom of Coppermill Lane.

No comments: