Sep 1, 2009

Jacqueline Whalen

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
I will be showing a small collection of paintings called 'neon nature' in the main room of Walthamstow library. These are what I hope to be the start of a long standing desire to dust off my paint brushes after they have been shoved away since Art College ore than 15 years ago! They are experiments with colour depicting flowers, birds and butterflies.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Did you respond to this year’s Art Trail theme ‘At Home’?
The images themselves are not directly related to Walthamstow but the process of getting there totally responds to the 'at home' theme. I have been 'at home' raising children for the last 3 years and it is this distraction of being away from work and out of my normal social surroundings that has prompted me to paint.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
I have never participated in the art trail before but have long desired to.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
My challenges realising this work are purely related to lack of time rather than any complexity in the work itself as I am a full-time mummy but also work in the evenings and weekends, so am only really left with my sleeping hours to do anything completely for myself. So it has been a huge challenge sneaking moments here and there to achieve such a tiny collection of work.

5. Who is this work for?
This work is primarily selfish as an artistic outlet for myself. But I would love to share it with anyone who is willing to have a little look.

6. As well as being an artist what else do you do?
As I have already mentioned I am a full-time mum but I am also a graphic/print designer within the fashion industry, which I think is hugely reflected in these paintings.

7. What is your favourite place in E17?
My favourite place in E17 is Lloyd Park, for its space to run, play, relax, explore and also for the William Morris gallery which is such a privilege to have on our doorstep.

No comments: