Aug 30, 2010

Gavin Maughfling

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail.
I will be showing a selection of new and recent work throughout my house and studio. This year I have been working on several series of small-scale oil on gesso panels which are drawn from different locations including Finland, Singapore, Mexico, and the former DDR. United by their starting point in photographic imagery, these new paintings explore the fluid boundaries between actual events as they are experienced in the moment and the ways in which photographs both trigger and mediate our memory or interpretation of those experiences. I'm also taking the opportunity to exhibit some large canvases from two earlier series of work. One is based on archive photographs of American 19th century college sports teams, and explores questions of hidden histories. The second group of large paintings are landscapes, taken from web-cam stills of American panoramas, and draw on ides of the Sublime.


2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is my second year of the Art Trail - last year was my first and it was brilliant.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
Images and ideas: sometimes it can be an image - a photograph in the newspaper or on the net or one I've taken myself or piece of film footage, or another artist's work which I come across, and at other times it might be something I've read, either apiece of writing about art or a work of fiction.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
This is a big space, with a lot of walls to hang work on, so that's been quite a challenge! Last year was really great, so I want to make sure that it looks good this time, and is a stimulating environment for people to visit.


5. Who are your favourite artists?
This changes the whole time. I've recently been thinking a lot about the work of a couple of Swedish painters, Mamma Andersson and Anna Bjerger. I like the way they both use and re-interpret traditional 19th century national styles of painting, and Bjerger's ability to work simply and directly has been a useful lesson for me.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
Two things I like about Walthamstow are: the sense of community, which seems to grow ever stronger, and also recently discovering with my partner that you can buy just about everything you need for Chinese cooking .

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
A new, full-length centrally located swimming pool would be fantastic.

WEBSITE


1 comment:

Julie Caves said...

Gavin's work was great! And yes, his wall space is vast and he made full use of it.

I agree- a centrally located large pool would be fantastic!!!