Aug 31, 2010

Hayley Holliday

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?
My - Strangers on a Train project began as a way of finding more time to draw. I spent every day travelling back and forth to work on the tube and decided this was an ideal opportunity to tune up my drawing skills.

Practically all the people I saw were travelling alone in very close proximity, often closer than cattle in a cattle truck. Crammed in, body space invaded, but almost everyone copes fine with it by managing to isolate themselves, sleeping, read books, play with phones and iPods’. People are almost oblivious to one another and generally no acknowledgement is made.

Very occasionally the isolation is broken, a joke is shared, an accident occurs or an argument breaks out, but it is generally peaceful.

After drawing these varied people day in day out I recognised their beauty, their kindness, their irritations, but mostly their warmth and humanity.

My paintings are inspired by the sketches I have made over the past 8 months, but they also draw on my love of colour, distortions produced by water and the transparency of the different materials I use.


I am also showing some of my Landscape and Seascape paintings produced over the summer. These painting are an ongoing theme I have been working on for the past 10 years. My Landscape and Seascape paintings are abstract watercolours that focus on land/ sea / wave, shapes and colours and the enjoyment of feasting your eyes on beautiful scenery.

2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is my first time on the Trail.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
I am inspired to create art by the process of drawing the people and things that are around me. It is something that keeps me happy and at peace with my life and the world around me. I also love trying out different art materials, techniques and effects to create images.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
I have work and childcare commitments and so my main challenges are about finding enough time to complete my paintings, mount work and put up the exhibition. My friends and husband have been very supportive and encouraging.

5. Who are your favourite artists?
Kurt Jackson is my favourite living artist. He is a landscape / seascape painter. He’s only about 10 years older than me and I’ve been following his work for years. He paints stunningly beautiful mixed media pieces and I’m always excited to see his new exhibitions.

I have also always loved and been inspired by Egon Schiele’s paintings, I love their honesty and passion.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
I like the market and parks.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
I think a Cinema with a cafe would be nice. The local council closed the old one down ages ago and made promises about a new one but it’s never happened. I would like to go and see films but it would also create jobs, bring more people to Walthamstow and give young people somewhere to go locally.

No comments: