Aug 17, 2010

Sba Shaikh (II)


1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?
As you know I have already shared some of ‘Missey S’s information in my initial intro on this blog and this is part 2.

The work I will be showing is a celebration of all the young ‘peeps’ that have influenced and shaped the art of ‘Missey S’. Using silkscreen printing I have used one of my designs to print a furnishing fabric which will be used as part of the installation. Also included will be a fashion range which will consist of t’s (t-shirts) and hoodies which have then been airbrushed.

I have collaborated with upcoming photographers such as Jo Zagni, who has taken photographs of ‘Missey S’ and are part of the installation (jozagni@hotmail.com)

I have used the theme of language as a key part of the work. The installation will be showing how a poem by ‘William Morris’ called ‘Summer Dawn’ has been interpreted in mobile texting language and translated into ‘Urdu’, and then printed. Therefore, interpreting William Morris’s poems to be more attachable to another generation and making his work multi-cultural.

I will be at the ‘William Morris Gallery' on Saturday 4th of September from 12pm to 2pm so come down and have a chat..



2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is my second time in taking part in the trail!

3. What kind of things inspires you to create art?
Lots of things inspire me, such as simple objects which always spark a mad idea for me to create my art. Also working in education with young people has really been inspirational and this has shaped not only the persona of ‘Missey S’ but also her art. Other inspirations have been my experiences for example working as an ‘Ink mixer/matcher’ at a t-shirt printing factory in Hackney Wick.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
Finance has been the biggest challenge for me this year. I have had to be more creative in the way I have had to prepare for the Trail. Also, like last year, not having a studio where I can be more experimental has been a big challenge as well.

5. Who are your favourite artists?
I really don’t have any favourite artists as I am really inspired by objects, art, architecture, culture of/from different countries and religions

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
Firstly I really love my home. The second thing I really like about Walthamstow has been the community I am in, they have been really been welcoming, made me feel a part of the community and accepting me as an artist.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
A good cinema would really complete Walthamstow where, a variety of films were shown and of course ‘Bollywood’. So Save Walthamstow Cinema! I would love to walk down to the ‘Stow’ to watch a film instead of stressing out about where to go.

07984283862

No comments: