Aug 27, 2010

Stevey Scullion

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail.
The sculpture in the Vestry Museum Garden presents an opportunity for me to show in a garden setting - something I have usually avoided doing as I believe that it is difficult to compete with nature. This piece is therefore a more site specific work than I usually make, so the development of the work is a little circumspect but mostly innovation. The poems on the website expand on the themes I was concerned with when formalising the ideas for the sculpture.


2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is my second Art Trail.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
I'm of the persuasion that Art is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. That said, I would still find it difficult to pinpoint where the 1% comes from. For instance, with this particular sculpture 'Cascade' I was initially moved by the cascade on the river to document it with photographs. Writing notes about it conjured up images - connections were made with stock ideas.


However, I would have to say I was greatly motivated to pull it all together by a quote by Maria Sharapova - "the whole inspiration for the night dress was Audrey Hepburn, I'm really inspired by her".  I found this on google, I believe it is the one that sparked the quote.  I hadn't seen the dress before, but I can see why it caused a stir. I was initially struck by her unabashed, unbridled, go for it enthusiasm in the quote.


4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
The challenges are to contain the ideas to one piece that can be completed. My aim in the sculpture 'Cascade' is to combine the three separate strands - ceramic forms, steel structure, and the portrait template heads. I am still desperately trying to assemble all these elements together on time. Other challenges are not to let financial restraints dictate on the work and to refrain from entirely ignoring my daughters!


5. Who are your favourite artists?
Musicians - I love and envy their fluidity and grace in delivering art.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
The ability to walk down to Hoe Street and watch a movie on a large screen cinema, and E17 jazz.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
Affordable studios with rate relief.

WEBSITE

No comments: