Aug 26, 2012

Hayley Holliday - Strangers on a Train

Hayley's exhibition will be on display at The Deli Café on Orford Road. It is no. 138 in the trail guide and her work looks wonderful!



1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2012 E17 Art Trail?
I am continuing with my Strangers on a Train project. I have been drawing people on the tube and train each day and make my paintings using a selection of these images. It is fascinating to see the changes in fashion and this year there have been massive increase in beards!! This year I am crowding more people into some paintings, while some are just single people. I have been enjoying some marvellous colour contrasts and have drawn inspiration from William Morris, Egon Schiele, Frida Kahlo, Gustav Klimt and Hans Holbein. I have also included some of my original drawings in the exhibition and will be bringing my sketch pads to show 3pm-6pm each weekend at The Deli Café.
I will also be joining Artists on Wood Street outside – “Images in Frames” on the 8th Sept. for some Paris Portraits between 12 and 3. 



2. Is this your first time in the Trail or are you an E17 Art Trail veteran?This is my 3rd Year on the Trail and have exchanged my living room for The Deli Café – Orford Road for my venue.

3. What are the challenges of getting everything ready for your Art Trail event?
I have been a bit more organized this year but it has still been a massive rush to get everything finished.  couldn't have done it without the help of my husband, son and friends. 

4. Do you remember the first artist that really influenced you? Does that artist’s influence still have an impact on your work?
I remember seeing Aubrey Williams an artist from Guyana. He was exhibiting in the White Chapel art gallery and he had done some paintings about sun light shining through a rain forest canopy. They showed the light moving down onto the forest floor and were absolutely magical. It must have been around 1990, I’d love to see them again.

5. The E17 Art trail has become bigger every year. Do you think it is because more artists are calling it home?
I think there are a lot of artists out there and I think it is inspiring people to make work and giving them a platform to share it with others.

6. What has E17 bestowed on you?
A home. :)

1 comment:

dr. kat said...

Congratulations on your exhibit.
I find your theme fascinating.
I live in a little town in North Carolina,
so my experiences with the tube
& subway have been rare adventures.
You've definitely captured the
special mood of the seasoned
travellers.

Best wishes from across the pond.
dr. kat
http://www.psychstudybuddy.com/