May 22, 2014

Perturbation at FRP by Gemma Seddon

Could you tell us about the work you will be showing during this year's E17 Art Trail?
The work I am showing is my interpretation of perturbation, it is made from reclaimed copper pipe. Previously, I have worked in domestic plumbing materials and utilised waste materials to create structures.
The material itself is one of the most attractive parts.  I use the preformed joins and work with the pipe to give the form. It’s a brand new piece with a secret history.

I also hold negative feelings towards it which relate to an apocalyptic era where our continuing destruction leads us to a place where only man made mimics of nature are left. This vision of the future is something I always feel when I see it. However, the work also conflicts with negativity as the form is so organic and visually pleasing.. I think you will have to see it to come to your own conclusions.

How have you been preparing for this year's trail? 
With a lot of excitement and stress.. This year has brought about many projects for me so it's non-stop.

Could you tell us about an artist that  particularly inspires you? 
I actually get inspired by architects mostly. I love Frank Lloyd Wright  and I love Mike Reynolds. They are like chalk and cheese but they both create amazement.

How does inhabiting a community like Walthamstow help your practice?  
I don’t live in the area but I am just next to it in Tottenham and I have worked in the area for a number of years seeing it slowly change but still holding its character. It has so many valid projects such as The Paint Place that I fully support and I hope that showing my work in their venue will promote them as well as myself to the community and its visitors.

What are you most looking forward to during the E17 Art Trail this year ? 
I am looking forwards to wandering the streets and finding hidden part and artists of Walthamstow
There is some fabulous architecture in between the art. :-) 
 

Listing no.149 in the guide: Click here for more information.

No comments: