May 25, 2014

Weird, Wonderful...Walthamstow: Matt Taylor tells us about his photographs capturing the quirky side of Walthamstow

Could you tell us about the work you will be showing during this year's E17 Art Trail?
I'm showing a selection of photographs at the Village Bakery Shop with the theme "Weird, Wonderful ... Walthamstow!" to celebrate all the amazing things we all walk past every day on the streets of Waltham Forest (and beyond). During the year I spend my time spotting the fun, quirky and humorous sights and then I bring together my favorites into large composite limited edition photographs.

How have you been preparing for this year's trail?
Most importantly I've been busy all year keeping my eye out for interesting sights and photographing them before they disappear. After that it's a case of combing through hundreds of images to pick my favourites. Each composite photograph has 36 individual images in it. My newest piece is called "To Walthamstow And Beyond" and features a sprinkling of images from elsewhere in London which were just too good to leave out.

Could you tell us about an an artist/ artwork that particularly inspires you?
In photography I'm inspired by the work of film director Wim Wenders who takes fascinating photographs whilst scouting for film locations. I also love abstract modern art, especially the bold colours of Yves Klein and the patterns of Bridget Riley. I also love Dan Flavin's fluorescent-light based installations.

How does inhabiting a community like Walthamstow help your practice? 
Walthamstow is a fantastically diverse area in every way. I think that's why there's always so much of interest on the streets. In a richer, West London borough you simply don't find the same fun, quirky things. Walthamstow residents really love their borough and you can see that creativity everywhere.

Do you have a personal highlight from the past 9 years of the E17 Art Trail?

The Art Trail has a way of bringing people together. My favourite moment was when I spotted some long lost friends looking at my photographs back in 2010. They had no idea it was my show! It gave us chance to have a lovely catch up coffee and chat.
Listing no.129 in the guide: Click here for more information

1 comment:

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.